Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Slavonian-Style Green Beans

This recipe is from the cookbook The Gluten Free Vegan by Susan O-Brien.

Recipe: see page 75 of The Gluten-Free Vegan.
I brought in a couple more pounds of green beans from the garden this weekend. I think the
plants are starting to slow down a bit. This recipe caught my eye because it reminded me of something I used to do when I was young, which was hide green beans in mashed potatoes in an attempt to disguise their taste. 

This probably isn't one of the most glamorous recipes, but it's a solid side dish that is tasty and filling. And it uses up LOTS of green beans. The garlic and shallot aren't cooked, so there is a very strong flavor from that, which is enhanced by the fragrance of the olive oil and parsley. I made it for lunch yesterday, and it stuck in my mind all day today, so much that I had to make it for dinner tonight to satisfy my craving. Good stuff.

Ingredients: green beans, potato, garlic, shallot, olive oil, fresh parsley, salt, pepper.