Sunday, January 1, 2012

Spinach and Tofu Calzones




This recipe is from the cookbook Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson.

 Recipe: see page 439 of Vegan Planet.
The spinach filling was simple, although a little salty for my tastes.  I'm not sure if the bread is supposed to be that thick, but I didn't mind. I like this recipe because
I can make up a few days worth and store them in the fridge. They are like little spinach sandwiches.

On all recipes I make for this blog I follow the instructions and ingredient lists quite literally. However, I deviated on this one a little bit. The instructions call for splitting the dough in half and making 2 large calzones. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to use a set of calzone mold/presses I have owned since the 1990s and only used once. So I made 5 medium-sized calzones, rather than the 2 large. 

Ingredients: spinach, silken tofu, extra-firm tofu, garlic, salt, black pepper, olive oil, basil, oregano, pizza dough (recipe on page 423).