Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tofu Ricotta

This recipe is from the cookbook Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 206 of Veganomicon.
I used this tofu ricotta as a vegan ravioli filling.  I'll tell you how good this recipe is: the first batch didn't make it to table. I put the tofu ricottaall together in the kitchen and it looked quite delicious. Right before I started to make the ravioli dough I thought I would try a little bit to see how it tasted, and it was good. So I tried a little more, and a little more. And then there wasn't enough to make a single ravioli, so I just ate the rest of the tofu ricotta and decided to call it quits for the day, and chalk this up as an occupational hazard of being a food photographer.

This is a delicious non-dairy cheese. Fast and easy to prepare. Very low fat. There is only a little bit of olive oil drizzled into the mix. This would be a good cheese substitute in lasagna, stuffed manicotti, cannelloni, etc.

If you are interested in the recipe and instructions for the ravioli dough, I used this recipe from the Vegalicious Recipes blog.

Ingredients: extra firm tofu, fresh basil (optional), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast flakes, black pepper, salt.