Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea and Tempeh Beanballs

This recipe is from the vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Recipe: see page 191 of Appetite for Reduction.
I've made these beanballs before and I thought they seemed a little bitter. I'm glad I tried them again, because I thought the taste was much better on this effort.
I think the first time the oven may not have been completely up to temperature so they didn't thoroughly cook and that was why the thyme and oregano were so overwhelming. The beanballs are soft and moist, and the tempeh gives them a little chewiness. This is a good alternative to meatballs. I don't know if they would hold together if they were to be in a crockpot in barbeque sauce for awhile, but they definitely work on sandwiches.

Ingredients: tempeh (Trader Joe's 3-Grain Tempeh is used here), black-eyed peas, garlic, thyme, oregano, paprika, black pepper, soy sauce, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, whole wheat bread crumbs, salt.