Sunday, January 15, 2012

Smoky Split Pea Soup

This recipe is from the cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Recipe: see page 223 of Appetite for Reduction.
I've never had a split pea soup that wasn't green, so this threw me a little bit. I could taste the
split peas only a little bit. It seemed this soup was more about the carrots and paprika. For the broth I used Trader Joe's Low Sodium Vegetable Broth, which is based around tomatoes and carrots, so that may have contributed to the dark orange/brown tomatoey-ness of it all. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I liked the soup... I had the leftovers for breakfast... but I was kind of geared up for a classic 'smoky split pea' experience.

Also shown are some Trader Joe's Sesame Melba crackers, which are vegan. Hooray!

Ingredients: split peas, carrots, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, thyme, vegetable broth (Trader Joe's Low Sodium Vegetable Broth used here), olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper, salt.