Saturday, January 21, 2012

Israeli Couscous with Pistachios and Apricots

This recipe is from the cookbook Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 117 of Veganomicon.
This is an interesting side dish with a lot of different flavors and textures working for it. It is
fruity from the citrus, sweet and chewy from the dried apricots, crunchy from the pistachios, minty from the mint, and aromatic from the spices.

There is a lot of ground cardamom in here, and that is expensive. The way I figured it, it worked out to a little more than a dollar's worth, which was a lot for me to spend for a spice on a side dish. And I'm not sure exactly what it added. I think everything might have tasted fine without it, so I may try leaving it out next time I make this.

Ingredients: Israeli couscous (Trader Joe's is used here), dried apricots, pistachios, cinnamon stick, water, cumin, ground cardamom, black pepper, vegetable oil, garlic, salt, lime zest, lime juice, fresh mint.