Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Farfalle with Sesame Cabbage

This recipe is from the cookbook Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson.


Recipe: see page 80 of Quick-Fix Vegan.
I'm excited to get some new cookbooks, and this is the first recipe that jumped out at me. I've been
wanting to make a pasta with a white sauce for awhile, This recipe is so good it is going to haunt my dreams.

This is a vegan interpretation of the Central/Eastern European dish halushki, but the egg noodles have been replaced with farfalle, and the butter has been replaced with a sauce made from tahini, soy sauce, lemon, toasted sesame oil and pasta water. The cabbage and carrots cook until they are soft, and when combined with the farfalle and sauce the result is creamy, chewy and delicious.

This would be good for people who have an aversion to cabbage because it cooks down and kind of disappears into everything else. I feel like I'm looking at a Where's Waldo picture. I can see the orange of the carrots and the green of the parsley, but it doesn't look like there is any cabbage even present.

Ingredients: farfalle pasta, vegetable oil, cabbage, carrots, scallions, garlic, tahini, soy sauce, lemon juice, toasted sesame oil, salt, black pepper, sesame seeds, fresh parsley.