Saturday, January 28, 2012

Elephant Rolls

This recipe is from the cookbook Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 48 of Veganomicon.
I love the taste of these elephant rolls and the different textures are wonderful. It's creamy from
the avocado and crunchy from the roasted peanuts, and then there is a whole other type of crunchy/crackly going on from the tiny black sesame seeds. And there is the 'taste of the sea' that comes from the nori seaweed. This is a good vegan alternative to fish-based sushi. I wonder how many people would notice that it doesn't contain fish.

The batch made three rolls which I sliced up into 21 servings such as the one you see here. This was probably the nicest looking one of the lot (you notice my creative cropping). On the others the peanuts were kind of all over the place. It was tough to slice and still have them look appetizing. They taste great, but I don't know if I would be confident in serving them to others because of that... or at least until I got better at rolling and slicing these.

Ingredients: roasted peanuts, avocado, sushi rice, nori seaweed, black sesame seeds, rice vinegar, sugar.