Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Texas Barbecue Sauce

This recipe is from the cookbook Vegan Fire and Spice by Robin Robertson.

Recipe: see page 12 of Vegan Fire and Spice.
The book recommends using this sauce to spice up beans and other dishes like tofu, so that's
what I did here, except I used poached tempeh.  I'm not really a fan of tofu, unless it is in a sauce or dip. By the way, Trader Joe's has got the best and cheapest tempeh around, $1.69 for the little brick you see here, compared to $5.49 at my big chain grocery store next door. Anyway, very good bbq sauce here. Very sweet and spicy/smokey from the chipoltes. The spiciness seemed to have mellowed a little in the fridge overnight, but the flavors got better. I'll definitely be making this again.

Ingredients include onion, bell pepper, garlic, canned chipolte chiles, crushed tomatoes, brown sugar, cider vinegar, salt and oregano.

I think I've inadvertently got a barbecue/cookout theme going this week. I've got a hankering for another Texas favorite, dirty rice, and there is a recipe for it in Vegan Planet, so that may be up next.