Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mango BBQ Beans

This recipe is from the vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Recipe: see page 133 of Appetite for Reduction.
I think this is one of the signature recipes from Appetite for Reduction. It is one of my favorites
from the book, but it may be a little polarizing. There are some purists who can't stand the idea of mango in a bbq bean recipe, and others who find it a bit sweet.

I had to make this a few times before I actually did it correctly, but now that I've got it down, I really like this. It is sweet, that comes from the mango ( I used Trader Joe's Frozen Mango Chunks so it would be easier to chop into small bits), and the agave nectar. Agave nectar is a natural sweetener that is popular among vegans, and is similar in taste and consistency to honey. But this recipe also has a little bit of heat from the red pepper flakes, and smokiness from the liquid smoke.

This tastes much better if you let it sit for a half hour or so after cooking. It is also good reheated.

Ingredients include mango, tomato sauce, liquid smoke, kidney beans, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, allspice, ground coriander, red pepper flakes, olive oil and agave nectar.