Monday, July 25, 2011

Creamed Corn

This recipe is from the vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Recipe: see page 94 of Appetite for Reduction.
I'll be honest, I've probably only had creamed corn two or three times in my entire life, and
that was with real milk or cream when I ate an omni diet, and I hated it. The corn was always floating in a sea of watery white liquid. Blech.  So, I didn't have high expectations for a vegan version of creamed corn, but I'll say, this was actually pretty good.

The first thing you'll notice from the photo is that is is very thick. It's almost like mashed potatoes in that you could sculpt them into a shape. That's my kind of dish.

Ingredients include fresh corn, unsweetened almond milk, cornstarch, olive oil and salt. The cornstarch helps to thicken up the almond milk. If you try this recipe, make sure you use UNSWEETENED, UNFLAVORED ALMOND MILK. Most almond milks are sweetened and flavored, so you may have to hunt around to find one without the sugar and other stuff. Unsweetened soy milk would probably work too, and might be easier to find.