Thursday, July 28, 2011

Creamy Zucchini Soup

This recipe is from The Vegan Dad Cookbook by Nathan Kozuskanich.

Recipe: see page 27 of The Vegan Dad Cookbook.
It's summer here in southern California and my garden is overflowing with zucchini. I have been
grilling it and putting it over pasta, but it is still piling up. On Saturday, I brought in two HUGE zucchinis that had been hidden under some leaves. One was five pounds and the other was four and a half. Organic zucchini sells for $2 a pound at the local grocery store, so that ended up being $19 worth of zucchini hiding under there. And that doesn't include about another four pounds of smaller squash that I picked as well. Like I said, it's piling up.

So I was thrilled to receive The Vegan Dad Cookbook in the mail yesterday. The first recipe I opened the book to was Creamy Zucchini Soup. And then I went on the Vegan Dad blog and found that he had just posted this free recipe for Creamy Zucchini Farfalle. Both recipes call for a lot of zucchini, so they were just what I needed. I made one batch of each yesterday and both were so good that today I cut up the other 12 or so pounds of zucchini in the fridge and made a few more batches to put in the freezer.

This photo shows the Creamy Zucchini Soup. Ingredient include olive oil, non-hyrdogentated margarine (I used Earth Balance), zucchini, onion, garlic, oregano, water, nutritional yeast, soy milk and salt.