Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles

This recipe is from the cookbook Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 89 of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.
My mom found a copy of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar at the library and made
these and NO ONE LIKED THEM. Can you believe that? Well, they do have a bit of cayenne in them, which isn't an ingredient you usually find in cookies, but I really liked these. I thought they had a little bit of zing. I put hot sauce, peppers, or cayenne on a lot of things, so I think I'm kind of used to it.

Do you know the best thing about vegan cookies? You can eat the cookie dough and not worry about getting worms! When my brother, sister and myself were growing up, our mom would make cookies (non-vegan) and put the dough in the fridge, warning us not to sneak any or we would get worms. Yes, little baby worms would grow under the skin of any of the naughty children who dared to filch raw cookie dough.

That's a nasty image, and it usually scared us away for an hour or so, but if she left the dough in the fridge longer than that, the mental image of the worms faded and each of us would try to discreetly scoop out a little piece without the others knowing. Anytime we caught each other, the taunt of "You're going to get worms" was sure to follow.

Ingredients: all-purpose flour, sugar, maple syrup, cocoa powder, chocolate extract, vanilla extract, baking soda, canola oil, non-dairy milk (soy milk used here), salt, cinnamon, cayenne.