Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is from the cookbook Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 35 of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.
My mom whipped up a few batches of goodies this week for an event. There were a couple sheets
of brownies and the refrigerator was filled with whoopie pies.  I had never heard of those, but they looked good, like ice cream sandwich cookies. Alas, they weren't vegan, so, impressed though I was by the craftsmanship, I tried not to dwell on them too long. BUT she also made up two batches of vegan chocolate chip cookies, and one of those came my way. Woo hoo. I can dwell on these all I like.

So how is a vegan chocolate chip cookie different from a traditional cookie?  The chips don't contain milk chocolate, and the eggs are gone and so is the cow's milk. It turns out you don't really need those things. These taste exactly like traditional chocolate chip cookies. They are delicious and moist and just a little crisp around the edges.

Ingredients: brown sugar, white sugar, canola oil, soy milk (or other non-dairy milk), vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life chocolate chips were used here).