Thursday, December 1, 2011

Curried Mushrooms

This recipe is from the cookbook Vegan Fire and Spice by Robin Robertson.

Recipe: see page 150 of Vegan Fire and Spice.
I like to try recipes I think I am going to hate, and this was one of those where the ingredient list
did not sound good. I'm not a fan of cooked mushrooms. They shrink and become rubbery, and then coating them in curry spices seemed pretty awful.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  It's very fragrant with a sweet taste and a creamy base that comes from everything cooking down into the coconut milk. This wasn't like anything I've ever eaten before and I really liked it.

Ingredients: white mushrooms, diced tomatoes, onion, chiles (serrano used here), unsweetened coconut milk (Trader Joe's used here), ginger, garlic, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, canola oil.

Served over brown basmati rice.