Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tomato Couscous with Capers

This recipe is from the cookbook Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 117 of Veganomicon.
Couscous is one of my favorite sides because it is so fast and easy to prepare, but the taste can be very plain. I like this recipe because
it keeps the preparation simple, but adds a little tomato flavor, and a little spicy heat from the capers. The ground cloves are optional. I included them for this photo but made a note to omit them in the future. Only a small amount is used, but I thought it  overpowered the taste of everything else, which is rather mild. I'm just not a fan of cloves. They remind me of the flavor of black jellybeans. Otherwise, I think this is a good side for Italian or Spanish meals.

Ingredients: canned diced tomatoes, couscous (Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Couscous is used here), capers, olive oil, oregano, cayenne, ground cloves (optional), salt.