Sunday, November 20, 2011

Carmelized Onion-Butternut Roast with Chestnuts

This recipe is from the cookbook Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

Recipe: see page 152 of Veganomicon.
I've had this one bookmarked awhile and have been waiting for the chestnuts at Trader Joe's to
come back into season. It was worth it because the taste was amazing.  It kind of reminds me of a Thanksgiving stuffing because of the savory aroma of the spices, and the texture of the bread crumbs and chestnuts. The carmelized onions give it a mild sweet taste.

The only thing I didn't like is that it is high-caloric and kind of oily. I'm not sure if all the olive oil was necessary so everything would roast properly in the oven, but it felt like everything was swimming in it. By my count, the photo above shows about a 700 calorie serving.

This is a great autumn recipe, and would make an outstanding side dish on Thanksgiving.

Ingredients: olive oil, onions, butternut squash, chestnuts (I used Trader Joe's), white beans, thyme, coriander, nutmeg, salt, pepper, vegetable broth, bread crumbs, dried rubbed sage, cayenne.