Monday, May 7, 2012

Tootsie Rolls (veganized)

This recipe is from Vegan Candyland by Kelly Peloza.

Recipe: see Vegan Candyland.
This recipe is a spot-on vegan copycat of Tootsie Rolls. In fact, it is BETTER than store-bought Tootsie Rolls.  I enjoyed Tootsie Rolls back
when I ate an omni diet, but it was always a gamble because I never knew how fresh they were going to be. Would it be fresh and chewy, or would it be tough like a piece of jerky? Nothing tastes better than FRESH CANDY, and nothing tastes worst than candy that has been sitting on the store shelf so long it is stale and hard. These taste fantastic, and they melted in my mouth. FRESH CANDY!

So yeah, Tootsie Rolls aren't vegan. It appears they have some dairy in them. This recipe works around that by using vegan chocolate chips. I used a brand called Enjoy Life. And the secret ingredient in this recipe is orange extract. I never would have figured that out on my own, but they give Tootsie Rolls that distinctive chocolaty-orangy taste.

Another great thing about this recipe, and all the recipes in Kelly Peloza's zine is that they can be made with a microwave oven. No double-boiler candy-making equipment is required.

I am in awe of this recipe.

Ingredients: chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand used here), light corn syrup, soy milk, orange extract.