Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Smoky Chipotle-Chocolate Chili

This recipe is from the cookbook Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson.

Recipe: see page 59 of Quick-Fix Vegan.
I had been looking forward to trying this recipe since it contains ALL my favorite things. AND one wild-card, at least for me. I've never used unsweetened chocolate
(well, other than cocoa powder). But I love tomatoes, black beans, chipotle chiles, and the inclusion of chocolate was very interesting to me.

In the intro to the recipe, Robin suggests cornbread and a side salad, and I think that is a good idea. To me, the chili seemed a bit acidic, so it was nice to have that balanced out by the tastes of the cornbread and greens. And like a lot of chili recipes, this got much better after a night in the fridge.

Ingredients: black beans, grated unsweetened chocolate, yellow onion, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, vegetable broth, garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, dark brown sugar, salt, black pepper.