Saturday, March 17, 2012

Brussels Sprout-Potato Hash

This recipe is from the vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.


Recipe: see page 65 of Appetite for Reduction.
Mmmmm. Brussels Sprouts and potato hash.... the breakfast of champions.


This took me a few tries to get right. I think my pan, a 10" iron skillet, wasn't big enough to cook everything at the same time. It would pile up high in the pan and the stuff on the bottom would brown and the stuff on top would cook slow. After 45 minutes of mixing everything around, the Brussels sprouts were overcooked and bitter and the potatoes undercooked. This time I halved the ingredients and everything fit evenly on the bottom of my pan and nothing was piled. It was soft and moist from the long cooking time and savory from the thyme. The lemon added a nice citrus taste. Very nice recipe.

Ingredients: Brussels sprouts, Yukon Gold potatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, dried thyme, black pepper, salt, lemon zest.