Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kidney Bean & Butternut Jamba Stew

This recipe is from the vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
 

Recipe: see page 256 of Appetite for Reduction.
I LOVE this recipe. It is spicy from the cayenne and mildly sweet from the butternut squash, and it has a great contrast of textures. The butternut is so smooth, it really feels like it is melting in my mouth.

I'm a compulsive list-maker, and going through my notes, I realized there is only one other recipe I've made this year that I loved as much as this, and that was the Tofu Scampi with Spinach from Quick-Fix Vegan. This recipe definitely makes my list of favorites.

Early in the summer I put two butternut squashes into my garden. I've never grown those before, and it seems some types of vegetables are hit and miss for me, but these turned out great. Between the two plants I was able to harvest 17 butternuts. I was kind of intimidated trying to find recipes that would use them all up, but no more. I am going to be making this recipe a lot more.

Ingredients: kidney beans, butternut squash, white basmati rice, canned whole tomatoes, yellow onion, green bell pepper, celery, olive oil, garlic, bay leaves, paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano, vegetable broth, salt.