Sunday, April 1, 2012

White Bean and Kale Stew

This recipe is from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester.

Recipe: see page 64 of The Vegan Slow Cooker.
I pulled in a grocery bag filled with kale from my garden yesterday. The farmers market sells kale for
$1 for a bundle of 10 leaves. That works out to 10 cents per leaf, which is a lot. So, this is a great green to plant in a garden. As much time and money I put into my garden, the huge harvests of kale and tomatoes make it more than worthwhile, and I can ensure everything is grown organically. Kale is great because you can trim off the leaves and new ones will grow. I've got about 24 plants that I put into the ground 16 months ago, and I continue to harvest leaves off every week.

Kale looks very rough and intimidating, but is soft and chewy once it cooks a bit. This was quick to prepare, and the taste was basic but good. Generally, I like balsamic vinegar, but I wasn't enthusiastic about it here. It seemed like that was the dominant taste.

Ingredients: kale, white beans, onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper, water.