Saturday, April 7, 2012

Peanut Butter Eggs

This recipe is from the zine Vegan Candyland by Kelly Peloza.
 
Recipe: see Vegan Candyland.
My mom made these chocolate candies for Easter and they were wonderful. They taste better than Reese's peanut butter eggs
(at least what I remember of them since it has been 5 years), and are similar to gourmet chocolates like See's or Godiva. They are soft, rich and creamy, AND they are vegan! As my sister says, "There is nothing better than fresh candy!"

This recipe comes from a zine published by Kelly Peloza in 2009. You may know her from her first cookbook, The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur, which was published last year and received glowing reviews.  What I like about this zine is that she gives you instructions for making candy without a double-boiler. I've always found double-boilers and candy thermometers to be a little intimidating, so I've stayed away from attempting candy.

The zine also has recipes for veganized versions of fudge, peanut butter fudge, chewy caramels, Baby Ruth candy bars, Bullseyes, peanut butter cups, Butterfinger bars, coconut cream eggs, crunchy toffee, Kit Kats, nutty bars and Tootsie Rolls. I will have a photo of the Tootsie Rolls for you next week. I will tell you right now, they are amazing.

BTW, my mom found the Easter egg mold at Target. She said it appeared to be a mold for making popsicles, but she adapted it to make these candies.

Thanks Mom!

Ingredients: chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand used here), vegan cream cheese (Trader Joe's used here), vanilla extract, powdered sugar, peanut butter, margarine, vegetable shortening, salt.