Wednesday, October 30, 2013

World's Fair Chili

This recipe is from the cookbook One-Dish Vegan by Robin Robertson.


Recipe: see page 106 of One-Dish Vegan.
One-Dish Vegan is a new cookbook by Robin Robertson that came out last month and contains over 150 recipes advertised as being easy to make. That's very appealing to me right now, because as you can see, I haven't been posting much lately. I've been busy with work lately and have had little energy to put into meals. I mean well. I've bought parsley three times in anticipation of making a particular recipe, then watched as it slowly wilted and died in the fridge while I tried to work up the energy to crack a cookbook. So, easy recipes are good. This cookbook sounds very appealing to me right now.

The intro to the recipe says the recipe gets its name from the 1904 St Louis World's Fair, where chili was introduced to the world. This is a mildly sweet recipe. It has onion, but no garlic. The tempeh gives it a meaty texture. If you aren't a fan of tempeh, the book suggests seitan or TVP (textured vegetable protein) can also be used.

Also pictured are Daiya cheddar style cheese and Ritz crackers, which are both vegan.

Ingredients: tempeh, dark red kidney beans, yellow onion, crushed tomatoes, canned mild green chilis, cider vinegar, chili powder, sugar, dried oregano, salt, water.