Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Baked Seitan Enchiladas

This recipe is from the cookbook Vegan Fire and Spice by Robin Robertson.


Recipe: see page 30 of Vegan Fire and Spice.
This vegan enchilada recipe came together quickly, which was a relief. I haven't had much time lately to try new recipes from my cookbooks.

The ingredients for the filling were grilled for a bit before being rolled in flour tortillas and placed in a baking dish. The taste was fairly mild, so I kept a bottle of Sriracha on hand to spice things up. The only thing I didn't like is that the tortillas became very mushy after I pulled the dish out of the oven.

It kind of reminded me of the chewiness of steamed wontons. I think that came from all the moisture in the salsa and sour cream. It cooked out in the oven and soaked into the tortillas. If I make these again I may try leaving out them out as ingredients in the filling, and just use them as a condiment served at the table.

Ingredients: red onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, mild tomato salsa, vegan sour cream, seitan, flour tortillas, canola oil.