Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Two-Tomato Pastry Purses

This recipe is from the cookbook Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson.


Recipe: see page 29 of Quick-Fix Vegan.
It's near the end of summer and the tomato plants in my garden have started dying out. I realized I haven't really used any tomatoes in this blog recently, so I scrambled through my cookbooks to find some tomato recipes before the rest of the plants go.

This is another recipe from Quick-Fix Vegan. It has some fresh cherry tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes, and olives, scallions and basil that are cooked down then placed in little pastry squares and folded over. I'm not sure if the 'purses' are supposed to stay closed during cooking. All of mine opened up. Still looks nice either way.

This was a good appetizer. The puff pastry is fluffy and crisp, and the filling is very sweet and tomato-y. This recipe makes the kitchen smell great while it is cooking.

This was the first time I made this, and start to finish it took about 50 minutes. The oven needs to warm up, the puff pastry needs to thaw, and the filling needs to cook on the stove top, then cool before being put into the purses. With practice I might be able to get that down to 35 minutes, but the first time through it wasn't a quick fix. It's a lot of time to spend on an appetizer. Still tasty though.

Ingredients: oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, scallions, garlic, olive oil, fresh basil, black pepper, vegan puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm used here).