Sunday, March 10, 2013

Irish Stew with Potatoes and Seitan

This recipe is from the vegan cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Recipe: see page 258 of Appetite for Reduction.
Saint Patrick's Day is coming up and I decided to go through my vegan cookbooks to see if I could find something appropriate, as well as something that didn't involve the use of artificial green food coloring. Now, granted, I don't have that many cookbooks, but this was the only Irish-style recipe I could find. But that's okay, because this was in Appetite for Reduction, a vegan cookbook with healthier recipes, so it was exactly what I was looking for.

While this stew was cooking it had an amazing aroma from the garlic, onions, thyme and beer. It gets cooked in beer for a little bit before the potatoes, carrots, green beans and seitan are added. As you can imagine, it a very savory smell. By the time it is finished, everything is swimming in a thick (very low-fat) beer-scented gravy.


The only thing I didn't care for was the lemon juice that was added at the end. It gave the dish a citrus flavor that seemed overpowering. I will leave that out next time I make this.

Ingredients: seitan (I used Trader Joe's Beef-less Strips), onion, Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots, green beans, garlic, olive oil, dried thyme, bay leaves, beer (Dos Equis), broth (Trader Joe's Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth), tomato paste, all-purpose flour, lemon juice, salt, pepper.