Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Creamy Potato Soup

This recipe is from the cookbook The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester.

Recipe: see page 59 of The Vegan Slow Cooker.
This was okay. To be honest, I'm not a fan of pureed soups. They remind me of smoothies, and then I find myself asking questions like
"Why am I drinking a potato smoothie?"  I liked this much more after I took her advice in the intro to the recipe and added some broccoli and spinach. What can I say? I like chunks of stuff floating around in my soups.

This tastes like mashed potatoes, but with a creamier, starchier texture. I wonder how much the slow-cooking aspect really ads to the taste, and if you couldn't get the same taste by boiling the potatoes for 10 minutes, rather than the 6-8 hour slow cooker time.

Ingredients: russet potatoes, garlic, rosemary, unsweetened non-dairy milk (Trader Joe's Unsweetened Soy Milk used here), vegan chicken-flavored bouillon (recipe on page 19 (onion, carrot, celery, nutritional yeast, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme)).